Helping patients breathe easy
The Foundation funded the expansion of respiratory services in our South Philadelphia community in conjunction with the Jane and Leonard Korman Respiratory Institute in Philadelphia. Services include lung cancer screenings and a COPD Center of Excellence.
The Outpatient Pulmonary Rehabilitation service at Jefferson Methodist Hospital is an individually tailored, medically supervised program of exercise training, education and emotional support to help import quality of life and well-being of patients with chronic respiratory diseases.
Outpatient Pulmonary Rehabilitation is available to patients aged 19 and older who are able to walk without help but whose abilites to perform daily activities are impacted by symptomatic chronic lung diseases such as:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease – e.g., emphsyema or chronic bronchitis
- Interstitial lung disease
- Cystic fibrosis
- Pulmonary hypertension
Our medically monitored program begins with a screening performed by the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Medical Director. It is then customized for each patient to help facilitate lifestyle changes essential to healthier behavior. Our pulmonary rehabilitation team consists of a pulmonologist, registered nurses, respiratory therapist and nutritionist. Over the next eight to 12 weeks (depending on each patients’s need and circumstances), we provide participants with:
- Exercise training – We design individualized, progressive aerobic and resistance training, monitored by a registered nurse and respiratory therapist, to help participants exercise safely, strengthen muscles and regain energy.
- Education – Topics include overviews of chronic respiratory disease, proper breathing techniques, nutrition (taught by a registered dietician), emotional concerns (including stress management techniques), medications (their purpose and proper consumption) and advanced directives (end-of-life issues, presented by a clinical social worker
- Support – Our staff is available to provide ongoing encouragement and emotional support, to answer questions and to discuss areas of concern, ever after completion of the program.
Qualifed, motivated participants can experience:
- Descreased shortness of breath
- Decreased exacerbation of chronic respiratory disease
- Decreased recurrence of hospitalization for chronic respiratory disease
- Increased energy
- Increased qualify of life
Outpatient Pulmonary Rehabilitation at Jefferson Methodist Hospital is covered by most insurance plans. Co-pays may be necessary. A physician referral is required.
For more information on this program, please call 215.952.9186